In a template  am trying to create a table showing the average temperature
for the month to date and then a historical list of the avg temp for all
months in the datebase.

I tried doing this with the iterators and I note the following example in
the customization guide

#for $month in $year.months
$month.dateTime.format("%B"): Min, max temperatures: $month.outTemp.min
$month.outTemp.max#end for

This intuitively makes sense, but lets say I want to iterate this same
iteration loop over all the years in the database.  I can quite figure out
how to use the .years iteration loop

#for $year in ????.years

What would replace the ????