Gary...subtitle "A complete Mystery"  I decided to follow your lead and try
to see if my css was not being uploaded to the site. It does appear in the
*/Weather* directory there. I then decided to use the  *tail -f
/var/log/syslog  *command to see if there were any errors; I saw none. I
then set *debug =1 *and looked at *syslog*; again I did not see any ftp
errors. At this point I still had the stripped webpage. I then decided to
delete the syslog (I don't know why I decided to do this!). I rebooted the
system and now the full web page is back!  Maybe there was a hosting error
which resolved just while I was doing my troubleshooting, or maybe it was
gremlins!

Again, thanks to you and Andrew for always being willing to lend a hand.

Steve