I was hoping to use option #1. This is where I ran into trouble. From the
instructions that I googled it is only necessary to edit sites-available
and sites-enabled to point to the new location.  This had no effect.  Some
instruction mention editing hppd.conf.  I could not find it anywhere.  My
assumption is that the instructions I was reading either do no apply to
Debian or are old.

So does anyone know how to change the where apache2 finds index.html in the
current version of stretch?

thanks Bill - AB6OR