> On the other hand, it may be possible to do all I need with javascript,
and I'll probably try that first.

If you want to use javascript, you might be interested in this project of
mine:

github.com/wrybread/Weather-Underground-Style-Real-Time-Gauge

Personally I think javascript is a good method for current wind conditions,
since it makes it easy to update a graphic continually. This live demo
should update every 2 seconds or so (every time the wind indicator turns
green is an update):

sinkingsensation.com/wu_gauge/

I should really update that though, since it's very small on my screen. A
CSS issue. Or here (css optimized for mobile):

sinkingsensation.com/wind

Note that this requires enabling the RTC ("real time gauge") extension in
weewx. And fyi the effect is achieved by rotating the circle to the current
wind direction.