On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 12:38:14 PM UTC-4, Dan'l B wrote:

> My two .conf files are vantage.conf and sdr.conf
>
> OK, did the following:
>
> sudo cp util/init.d/weewx-multi /etc/init.d/weewx
> sudo update-rc.d weewx defaults
> echo "vantage sdr” | sudo tee /etc/default/weewx-multi
>
> Rebooted the Pi and ran:
> tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep weewx
> with no results

rebooting is not a diagnostic tool.  if your first thought for fixing
something is "reboot", then your thought process is broken.  this is not
windows (even though some people at redhat are trying to make it that way).

before you reboot, try running the rc script.  you should be able to use it
to start and stop weewx.

you should be able to do:

sudo /etc/init.d/weewx-multi start vantage

to start the vantage instance.  or this:

sudo /etc/init.d/weewx-multi

to start both instances.  only after you get that working should you both
doing a reboot, and the only reason to do that is to verify that things
work at startup.

from the systemd output you posted, it looks like the
/etc/default/weewx-multi file does not contain the right values.  it should
look like this:

WEEWX_INSTANCES="vantage sdr"

you can get that by doing:

echo 'WEEWX_INSTANCES="vantage sdr"' | sudo tee /etc/default/weewx-multi

i fixed the wiki page (my apologies again for the docs being stale on this
one)

however, since your system is infected with systemd :) you might want to
skip weewx-multi and just write two systemd unit files.  i find it easier
to manage a single /etc/default file than a zillion unit files, and i find
it near impossible to keep track of the zillion+1 ways that systemd
overrides and obfuscates the units, but ymmv.

and apologies (but not really) for the redhat/systemd flaming.  systemd
took a few more hours from my life again this week, and i am still bitter.