Ok,

a couple things ... your syslog is chucking a bunch of DHCP messages

check ifconfig -all and see if you actually have an IP address

next do

ps -ef|grep weewx

see if you are running weewx at all

if you are using
sudo vi /etc/weewx/weewx.conf and cannot open the file to write something
more fundamental with your pi is going on try doing

ls -la /etc/weewx and see what the perms are, but sudo should allow you to
open the file AND write it as you are root

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Andrew Milner <andrew.s.r.mil...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> a silly question - how do you know it is actually running?? how did you
> start it??
>
> there should be at least weewx startup log messages
>
> are you sure the messages are not being diverted to weewx.log??
>
> what command did you use to view the log??
>

> On Friday, 27 April 2018 18:47:36 UTC+3, Stuart Smith wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 27 April 2018 17:19:42 UTC+2, vince  wrote:
>> > On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 8:15:55 AM UTC-7, Stuart Smith wrote:
>> > bought a raspberry pi 3, came with noobs on the sd card, installed
>> raspbian from here.
>> > followed the instructions on installing weewx at
>> www.weewx.com/docs/debian.htm
>> > configured apt, no problem
>> > installed weewx, no problem
>> > step 3 is to check the syslog for message from weewx, there are none
>> whatsoever...the only activity in the log is pasted below.
>> > can anyone pleeeeeeaase help? I've looked through the wiki and searched
>> this group but found nothing of help, feel like a complete idiot!
>> > P.S. cannot edit the weewx.conf either, I can open it, tweek it but
>> cannot save it, tells me it cannot open the file to overwrite it.
>> >

>> > You're on a pi, so you are likely running as user 'pi' which has no
>> permissions to write to root-owned files.
>> > Try using "sudo" ala "sudo your_command_here"
>> >

>> > If you're a new Linux user completely, definitely get yourself some
>> online Linux training for the basics.
>> >

>> Yup, been using the sudo command...but why is weewx not reporting? Surely
>> my root permission has no bearing on this?
>>
>> P.s. thanks for the reply

John P. Hoke
j...@hoke.org
https://hoke.org/john <http://hoke.org/john>/