the easiest way to install weewx is to follow the apt-get Debian install
instructions which, if followed correctly, will ask you for station type
(select simulator) and altitude etc and make the initial edits to
weewx.conf for you.

You can still use wee_config though to edit the .conf for you
see

http://weewx.com/docs/utilities.htm#wee_config_utility

However, if you did the install using the setup.py method you can edit
weewx.conf by using the nano editor and giving the command
sudo nano weewx.conf