The (another) thing to remember about using 'wind' is that if the time span
over which you are asking for an aggregate does not meet a number of
constraints (must be on midnight boundary or first or last timestamp in db) the
the query is directed to the archive (where 'wind' does not exist) rather than
the daily summaries (where wind does exist). $year is well behaved, it has be n
a long standing part of WeeWX and is well know, $alltime less so (it is an add
on not an integral part of WeeWX) but I believe it is equally solid.

Looking at the error:

Aug 31 08:06:51 hathaway weewx[22213]: manager: getSQL: SELECT dateTime FROM
archive WHERE dateTime > 1389475998 AND dateTime <= 1535720760 AND wind =
(SELECT MAX(wind) FROM archive WHERE dateTime > 1389475998 and dateTime <=
1535720760) AND wind IS NOT NULL

I am starting to wonder... the timestamp 1535720760 suggests a 60 second
archive interval. We know from previous posts that the skin has been taking in
excess of 60 seconds to execute. I am wondering if what is going on is that a
report thread is launched but by the time this portion is executed another
archive record has been saved thereby meaning that the already running report
thread will no longer be getting the last record in the db because another has
since been saved. This causes the archive to be used for wind (and other obs)
but only wind throws an error, the other obs don't since they exist in the
archive.

A decent log extract over a few archive periods with debug=1 will confirm.
Possible solutions are use a 5 minute archive ( I don't know why 1 minute seems
to be so popular, it is often more trouble than it is worth) or re-order the
reports in the skin to put the offending ones up front.

Gary