*SOLUTION FOUND*
just for anyone else that might run into this issue.
Since I'm using an "amazon linux" machine that is "red hat like,"

I fully removed everything weewx related.

reinstalled weewx using setup.py (NOT REHAT PACKAGE)

used amazon's suggestion
<https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/set-time.html>in how
to change the machines time zone (since wlink needs the machine and weather
station in the same time zone)

dowloaded the wlink.py and put it in /home/weewx/bin/user

Used the wlink instructions HERE <https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/wlink>

and now have data