Tom, it's exactly what I did. I'm quite well versed with mysql, so adding
the column is not a problem. I've even shown the extract for the column in
my first post!

So, to sum up: 1. I've added the field to the python schema and also set
its group; 2. added the filed to the software-generated list of fields; 3.
added the maxSolarRad field to the archive table in mysql (it's actually
MariaDB, but that's not important now). Yet it still filled my db with
nulls even in daylight. I can't test it any more as it's already too dark.
I will rebuild the daily records when the values start appear in the db.
Unless it's a requirement for it to work at all, in that case I'll do it
right away.