OK, I couldn't let you do all the work alone, so I retrieved my ws3000 and
did some test. Switching to record_generation = software does not prevent
the duplicate loop packets. But I would still change the configuration,
because hardware just doesn't make any sense (if I understand what this
means correctly). I also saw a comment in the documentation mentioning that
'hardware' could cause issues with one station.

So far I haven't gotten any crash, so I'll let weewx run for a while, see
if I also get a crash. If not, I'll try to setup my RPi to do the tests.