On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 6:46:12 PM UTC-5, Thomas Keffer wrote:

> I don't think so, but I regularly upgrade the system and it's possible
> that nginx got accidentally "upgraded" in the process. This had happened to
> me in the past. The fix is to replace the new copy with a link to our
> custom built version of nginx.

everything should be back to normal now

don't know how long the site has been down.  server uptime is only 16 days
- pretty lame.

i fixed the systemd unit file for nginx so that it refers to the
custom-built version of nginx

as long as system updates don't stomp on our unit files, you can update all
you want now