I'm trying to set up weewx with mqtt, but my installation fails with paho

sudo: pip: command not found

tried installing it with pip3, it installs, but weewx crashes with the
following log:

Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 78, in __init__
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****
self.loadServices(config_dict)
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weewx/engine.py", line 142, in loadServices
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****
self.service_obj.append(weeutil.weeutil._get_object(svc)(self, config_dict))
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/weeutil/weeutil.py", line 1132, in _get_object
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****      mod =
__import__(module)
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****    File
"/usr/share/weewx/user/mqtt.py", line 63, in <module>
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****      import
paho.mqtt.client as mqtt
Jan 24 12:57:24 raspberrypi weewx[7712]:     ****  ImportError: No module
named paho.mqtt.client