On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 2:52:54 PM UTC-8, Björn Baldus wrote:

> Hi,
> Maybe somebody can help us? Searching for an energy efficient rpi
> distribution with cut down features - enough to run weewx properly.
> We are running a rpi with an Davis vantage pro 2 activ solar powered with
> a 12V 45ah Backup - but we need to cut down the power consumption. After a
> few days without sun the battery is running low.
> The Only functions that should work (so far as i know):
> - rudimentary security (firewall)
> - ssh console
> - weewx (without generating graphics or some other crap)
> - lan for the connection to the mr3020 - or a 3g dongle connected to the
> rpi via usb

Run raspbian-lite, add what you need, turn everything off you don't.

You might want to run a lower-powered pi as well.  Weewx runs fine on a
pi-zero or zero-w if you wanted to go that way, depending on whether you
want wired or wireless.  I don't know about 3g personally.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'some other crap' but you certainly could
tweak the skin configs to not generate images or html pages if you work a
little.   Really comes down to how minimal you want to make it.

If you're not generating any output other than saving data to the database,
how are you going to access what weewx is receiving from the station ?
Are you planning to rsync something pi=>somewhere periodically ?