I *did* spring for a hardware RTC (a 3231). However, I still had problems
and, because of other commitments (like my work, etc!), I did not further
investigate why this should be so. Maybe when I get more free time, I'll
troubleshoot. In the meantime, I just stuck my RPi on a spare UPS to avoid
reboots!

David