On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 9:52:17 AM UTC-4, V. Kelly Bellis wrote:

> Will sudo apt-get purge xtide purge only the old deprecated xtide stuff or
> will frig with all things xtide system-wide?

purging xtide will probably not touch your installation at /usr/local

packages installed by apt usually go into standard system locations - /etc,
/var/lib

packages installed by source typically go in /usr/local or in /opt

so as i mentioned previously, you should be able to have both on your
system at the same time (it works for me).  you just have to be explicitly
about which harmonics file you want.  you'll have to read the xtide
code/docs to find out the configuration precedence for tide.