After searching for quite a few hours, I have come up with nothing that
helps what I am trying to achieve.

I have a RPi 3 that is running weewx, with a FineOffset USB station
connected to it.  This works fine, happily displaying the data via a
Lightpd webserver.

I also have an ESP8266 in a storage room that uses MQTT to output both the
temp and humidity of the room whenever there is a change - this keeps the
traffic down to only when needed - and a MQTT broker (mosquitto) runs on
the RPi that runs weewx.

I would like to import the MQTT data to weewx, save it in the database and
also display it on the webserver along with the FineOffset data, but how to
do this seems to eluding me.

I can see how to make everything MQTT - and weewx currently exports to MQTT
just out of curiosity - but I would rather not run a copy of weewx to
interface with the weather station and then export to MQTT, followed by
another RPi running weewx with the input being MQTT.

Surely there is a way to "read" the MQTT broker and input selected data as
additional sensors along with the FineOffset data?

Thanks very much.