Hi, hi,

I didn't look at the mechanics of the script too closely, but before you had
shown:

flagLogDir=/home/pliggen/scripts

And just now you showed:

logOutput=/var/log/syslog.txt

Which I glean from the error is being concatenated to:

 /home/pliggen/scripts//var/log/syslog.txt

And that can't work if you don't first "mkdir -p
/home/pliggen/scripts//var/log/" except I doubt very much you really want such
a convoluted path down to the checkWeewx.log.  ;-)

If you want to keep the log in your home dir, you probably want:

logOutput=checkWeewx.log

But it will be owned by root in your home dir.

I wouldn't be messing with the syslog directly, but if you want the
checkWeewx.log to be next to syslog, you could do this:

flagLogDir=/var/log
logOutput=checkWeewx.log

So if I have gleaned correctly, that will give you a log owned by root, here:

/var/log/checkWeewx.log

The author of the script can validate the above, if I have it right or wrong.
;-)

Regards,
Leon
--
Leon Shaner :: Dearborn, Michigan (iPad Pro)