Pat - this thing has a lot of moving parts.  One thing that would help (me)
is a *known-good minimal example* with
forecast/earthquake/highcharts/mqtt-realtime all working after a little
light editing to set the urls etc. to match our site.   There are so many
places where we're assumed to know how to set the configurable items
correctly.  It's not totally obvious if you haven't been there before.

I'm basically stuck at 'Connected. Waiting for data.' although in some of
my many stop/edit/restart iterations it seemed like it was getting data,
although the screens never updated with changed data.   Setting
belchertown_debug did nothing that I could tell, although I don't know
where it writes debugging stuff so I might not have been looking in the
right place.

Here's what I have for snippets of the pieces.  All software runs on the
same host.

Should these work as-is and have realtime data working etc. ????

I've omitted my DarkSky api key below (of course), but that part worked
fine.
It's the realtime stuff that doesn't seem to be working as far as I can
tell....

#------------------------------------------
#
# /etc/mosquitto/conf.d/highcharts.conf

     #
     #     mosquitto 'is' listening on both ports sayeth netstat
     #

listener 1883
protocol mqtt

listener 9001
protocol websockets

#------------------------------------------
#
# weewx.conf MQTT extension section

     #
     # not sure server_url below is correct for websockets

[[MQTT]]
    #---- MQTT broker URL to publish to
    server_url = mqtt://localhost:8813

         # server_url = wss://localhost:9001    <== or should it be this ?

    #---- MQTT topic to publish to
    topic = weather

    #---- make sure you bind to 'archive, loop' with aggregation
    binding = archive, loop
    aggregation = aggregate

#------------------------------------------
#
# weewx.conf Belchertown section
#

[[Belchertown]]
    HTML_ROOT = public_html
    skin = Belchertown

    [[[Extras]]]

        #--------------- General Options

        #--- debugging this skin (optional)
        belchertown_debug = 1                                   # default =
1

        #---- root_url for this skin (mandatory)
        belchertown_root_url = http://localhost                 # no
trailing slash

        #---- HighCharts (optional)
        highcharts_enabled = 1                                  # default =
0

        #--------------- MQTT Websockets (optional)
-------------------------------

        mqtt_websockets_enabled = 1                             # default =
0
        mqtt_websockets_host = localhost                        # default =
""
        mqtt_websockets_port = 9001                             # default =
8080
        mqtt_websockets_topic = "weather"                       # default =
""

        #--------------- Forecast Options (optional)

        forecast_enabled = 1                                    # default =
0
        darksky_secret_key = 12345678901234567890123456789012   # default =
""