I'm looking to add a field to the archive table for my purpleair.sdb file,
and create the matching archive_day_whatever table and backfill it with
data.

Does wee_database support operating on just one database ?  It isn't clear
from the docs and --help info whether I can specify just one database to
operate on.

The binding is:

    [[purpleair_binding]]
        manager = weewx.manager.DaySummaryManager
        schema = user.purpleair.schema
        table_name = archive
        database = purpleair_sqlite

I can probably get mostly there via low-level sqlite3 commands ala:

# create the table
echo "CREATE TABLE archive_day_aqi (dateTime INTEGER NOT NULL UNIQUE
PRIMARY KEY, min REAL, mintime INTEGER, max REAL, maxtime INTEGER, sum
REAL, count INTEGER, wsum REAL, sumtime INTEGER);" | sqlite3 foo.sdb

# alter the archive schema
echo "alter table archive add column aqi INTEGER;" | sqlite3 foo.sdb

But I'd still need to backfill the new archive_day_aqi table with its data.
  I have 12+ years of archive records in my normal weewx.sdb, so obviously
I don't want to rebuild all the databases for all of known time.  I'm just
looking to build the archive_day_aqi table in the purpleair.sdb from the
known data.

Am I missing some switch combinations for wee_database perhaps ?