I think generally it would just momentarily affect the wind direction as
it's the vane they tend to land on and launch off of, unless they move
enough air when they flap their wings to really get the cups spinning.

I did tape a couple of wire brads to the tail of the vane to act like bird
spikes, I thought that might help keep droppings from blowing into the rain
collector below the anemometer.  I think it helped, but I have seen birds
land on the nose of the vane now. :)