Hi Andrew,
that was it!

The order in weewx.conf was wrong. I've changed the order now and
everything works like a charm.

I don't know how those two extensions decide where to put their lines in
the config file, but it seems that both place them right above the FTP
section. Since I installed the SFTP extension first, the Belchertown
section ended up AFTER the SFTP.

I permanent fix would probably be, if the Belchertown script would check
for SFTP and - if existing - put the own section above it.

Thanks Andrew & Pat!
Manfred