Hi Malky,
I see you are using quite an old version and its not easily apparent to me
what the problem is.
I am not familiar with Gentoo Linux, I am using DietPI (Debian based) on a
Raspberry Pi 3 with PHP7.3

Here is the dump from php -m on my rig.

[PHP Modules]
apcu
calendar
Core
ctype
curl
date
dom
exif
fileinfo
filter
ftp
gd
gettext
hash
iconv
json
libxml
mbstring
openssl
pcntl
pcre
PDO
pdo_sqlite
Phar
posix
readline
Reflection
session
shmop
SimpleXML
sockets
sodium
SPL
sqlite3
standard
sysvmsg
sysvsem
sysvshm
tokenizer
wddx
xml
xmlreader
xmlwriter
xsl
Zend OPcache
zip
zlib

[Zend Modules]
Zend OPcache

If you are still struggling with the sun module, it may be worth going
for an update to the current version.

I can walk you through it if it helps. I might learn someting about
your distro in the process :-)

Ian