What you say, I read as: FO can have its batteries, it is enough to kill
the power to the USB cable for a short time to fix USB connectivity?
Meaning: A nutered (power cut, data only) USB cable between the Zero and
USB Hub plus a SmartSWitch on the USB Hub power supply can restore USB when
it fails (even with batteries in FO). I understood FO needs to be powered
down.

My proffessional deformation is to verify all the facts and measure
everythng including things that supposedly do not work or should not be
done. And then after having checked all facts, make decisions.

This simple USB connection was both interesting to try and the only
immediate thing I could do to connect my Weather Station permanently to RPi
Zero without moving the station itself elsewehere. For anything else, I
needed to get some more stuf which takes time at my present location. First
step is always the same: hook it up, and if it works after a month or so,
go on to the next step with it.

I was willing to bet Zero + FO would not work at all! USB cable powering my
RPi Zero is 3 meters (10 feet) long! I better not say measurements under
load :) I was sure it would not work. Now, I am actually perplexed: it
works perfectly fine over a month! On a Zaro where Node-RED and Mosquitto
are using power needlesly, plus WeeWx and of course - Zero is powering the
Fine Offset itself for few weeks now. But, somehow, against all odds, 5
weeks later, all is well!?! If I did not try it, I would not have believed
it.

Previously, I tested connection from my Fine Offset to a PC and USB stopped
working. I beleived USB died. Now I decided to do a SmartHome thing which
starts with a Weather station. So, when I plugged a Zero into FO, it
suddenly worked years after I gave up thinking USB port is dead or corroded
(small island, a VERY corrosive surrounding). Them eneloops in FO last
forever, over a year.

It was only when I started reading on WeeWX that I learned FO power needs
to be fully cycled to restore USB connection. Reading info on Fine Offset,
I understand it needs to be completely powered down, screen dead, history
emptied. Only then it restores USB connection. So, when I said FO did not
react to Zero rebooting, I meant - its screen remained unaffected by Zero
rebooting. FO did not loose power long enought to restart. For now, USB
connection was never lost, Zero is powering FO for the last 3 weeks (no
batteries).

WeeWX log upon manual reboot seems unremarkable:

Oct 10 12:17:56 RPiZero kernel: [    2.673222] usb 1-1: New USB device found
, idVendor=1941, idProduct=8021, bcdDevice= 1.00
Oct 10 12:17:56 RPiZero kernel: [    2.688210] usb 1-1: New USB device
strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Oct 10 12:17:56 RPiZero kernel: [    2.713617] hid-generic 0003:1941:
8021.0001: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [HID 1941:8021] on usb-
20980000.usb-1/input0

Oct 10 12:18:16 RPiZero weewx[345]: engine: Using configuration file /home/
weewx/weewx.conf
Oct 10 12:18:16 RPiZero weewx[345]: engine: Loading station type
FineOffsetUSB (weewx.drivers.fousb)
Oct 10 12:18:16 RPiZero weewx[345]: fousb: driver version is 1.10
Oct 10 12:18:16 RPiZero weewx[345]: fousb: polling mode is PERIODIC
Oct 10 12:18:16 RPiZero weewx[345]: fousb: polling interval is 60
Oct 10 12:18:17 RPiZero weewx[345]: fousb: found station on USB bus= device=
Oct 10 12:18:17 RPiZero weewx[345]: engine: StdConvert target unit is 0x10
Oct 10 12:18:20 RPiZero weewx[345]: fousb: synchronising to the weather
station (quality=1)