Is there a reason you need to do this on centos8 ?
That's very new and very different under the hood from a python perspective
than previous versions (long story).

I think what you are likely running into is internals in the rpms
themselves and what they say they 'provide' in rpm terminology.  I'm
guessing the python2 rpm provides "python2" but no rpm provides "python"
(unversioned), so the legacy weewx rpms will not work as is on the new os.

The setup.py installation method should work for you just fine I'd think
(untested).

But personally I'd recommend you just use centos7 since it's supported for
4+ more years anyway, unless you really want to go bleeding edge with
centos8.