I have found a semi-acceptable solution:  I created a separate weewx.conf
file ("dump.conf") that contains "record_generation = hardware" along with
a separate SQLite database name to dump into.  I then invoke both with
"wee_device dump.conf --dump".  That spits out the sought after
rxCheckPercent data into its own .sdb, which I can then data mine.  The
Davis datalogger apparently keeps its own archive records independent of
what weewx writes into my SQLite database.

I say semi-acceptable because I can only retrieve the last 8 days worth of
data at any one time based on my archive interval, and because the --dump
routine constantly times out.  Sometimes I get hundreds of records before
it quits, sometime none, and thus it takes many, many, MANY tries to get
the whole log.  I have played with the various timeout interval and retry
parameters, but have not yet found the magic combo.

I am doing this with ssh into a headless Pi that uses a cheap USB-serial
adapter between itself and the Davis.  I have not ruled out the possibility
that my spartan setup makes me deserving of all the unwanted timeouts.