I don't know if it's feasible to backup your SD card with the raspberry pi
running. I think to backup the SD card you need to shut it down, remove it
from the raspberrypi and do it on another machine.

I backup my SD card every once in a while when I make significant changes,
but realistically if I fried it, I'd probably be re-installing. I keep a
separate tar backup of the weewx configuration, skins, customizations, etc
on Github so I should be able to recreate it after a minor disaster.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Keimpe Bleeker <bleek...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Weewx users,
>
> Rather new to Raspberry, supernew to Weewx (to replace my Windows
> WeatherDisplay system, based on Davis Vantage Pro2 [https://oentsjerk.eu];).
> My Weewx [https:oentsjerk.eu/wwx/] will come to life after version Weewx
> 4.# is available and I am able to import my historical data from
> Wunderground. So there is some time to tune.
>
> I'm running a script in a cronjob once a day, to backup the advised Weewx
> files to my NAS. It's working nice in backup as well for the (manual)
> restore. I also should like to backup an image of the SDcard once a week.
> Is it necessary to shut down Weewx before the image backup is running, to
> be safe the database will not will be affected by the backup process?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/a7321adb-6392-4f12-bf94-30b496ad03bf%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/a7321adb-6392-4f12-bf94-30b496ad03bf%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Peter Quinn
(415)794-2264