Yep...spiders love the tipper as playground equipment.

They also can spin their web on the tipper and stop it from working.

I clean mine out regularly.

Was it windy when you had the rain results. I moved the rain gauge down to
the bottom of the pole I had it on as it was swaying in the wind and making
the tipper move.