I'd like to help answer some of your questions.

Here's a little back story: I moved to a rural county and decided to build
my own mesonet. I wish I could afford six Davis stations but I can't. I
found the WS-2902 to be what I needed. Originally no display console was
used, just array, ObserverIP and Meteobridge. (I've since added a WS-1900
display in my home)
The 2902 array is not Davis quality, but is the best available under $250.
It is well made and spare parts are available.  I now use the Gw1000
instead of the ObserverIP, it pushes the data to WeeWx

I mount them low to the ground, 5' to 6'. I've had bird problems at one
site, even with bird spikes. Cleaning bird poo atop a ladder is no fun. The
rain funnel is twist-lock so it's easy to do on ground level.

Bill