On Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 5:39:21 PM UTC-5, Thomas Keffer wrote:

> According to the database, you saw a max gust of 39.6 mph, or 63.7 kph,
> which is exactly what was reported on your website.
>
> It is always possible there is a bug in the driver for the WH1080, but
> unlikely. A bug this fundamental would have been discovered a long time
> ago.
>
> Perhaps Matthew has an opinion...?

stefan, why do you think that your station experienced a maximum gust of
100kph, not 63.7kph?

i am pretty sure we worked out all of the unit conversion issues in the
fousb driver a very long time ago.  i don't have recent data (two
anemometers are broken right now), but for years i ran a comparison of
fousb, acurite, te923, and ws23xx stations, and the fousb wind values
correlated with those of the other stations.

the sensors report an integer value that is 10x m/s.  so we divide that by
10 to get fractional m/s.  then we multiply that by 3.6 to get the km/h
that is required by METRIC unit system.  in your case, that is then
converted to mph when saved to database (since your database is US).

you might test by comparing the following 3 values:

- what you see on your weather station console
- what you see coming out of weewx at the same time
- what you see on a hand-held or nearby anemometer at the same time