I want to read in a single %2.2f  from a file "special.dat" and store it in
something I'll never otherwise use, "leafTemp1".

My weewx is 3.6.2.  I have read the suggestion to use a 2nd database,
however I do not want to do that. I have written a custom .py before to
read data from a 2-element data file, but I extended the schema to do that
(and I remember Tom asking why, and it was because I thought that was the
thing to do, anyway I don't want to do that this time)

pi@RPI3:~ $ cat /home/weewx/special.dat
32.67
pi@RPI3:~ $

Here is the python I copied & modified a few years ago, which works for
that system:
#!/usr/bin/env python

#file user/lakedata.py
import weewx
from weewx.engine import StdService

class AddLakedata(StdService):

    def __init__(self, engine, config_dict):
      # Initialize my superclass first:
      super(AddLakedata, self).__init__(engine, config_dict)
      # Bind to any new archive record events:
      self.bind(weewx.NEW_ARCHIVE_RECORD, self.new_archive_packet)

    def new_archive_packet(self, event):

        #(code that reads two measurements from a file)
        with open("/mnt/wxdata/weewxmbdata.dat") as f:
                for line in f:
                        numbers_str = line.split()
                        numbers_float = [float(x) for x in numbers_str]
                        value1 = numbers_float[0]
                        value2 = numbers_float[1]

        event.record['lakeElevation'] = value1
        event.record['lakeWaveheight'] = value2

import schemas.wview
schema_with_lakedata = schemas.wview.schema + [('lakeElevation', 'REAL')] +
[('lakeWaveheight', 'REAL')] + [('lightning', 'REAL')]

#

The above code works fine on a previous installation and I'm not going to
mess with it. This install however, I will be reading a single value, and
applying it into an existing field in the default existing database. My
concern is, in the above lakedata.py, which represents an extended schema,
what changes when I'm using the existing schema?

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Phil