Tamo,

I did it in such a way as to avoid changing the system-wide default.
I'm on Raspberry Pi, and several system-related functions still expect Python 2.7.

What I did is certainly not the only way, but it works for me...
On my system, /usr/local/sbin is already in the path ahead of system default locations and it is set via /etc/profile (but you could do it in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc or other dot files):

   PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

Based on that, I did the following:

   pi@nixie:~ $ cd /usr/local/sbin
   pi@nixie:/usr/local/sbin $ sudo ln -s ../../bin/python3 python

That yields this behavior:

   pi@nixie:~ $ which python
   /usr/local/sbin/python
   pi@nixie:~ $ env python --version
   Python 3.7.3

And because the majority of weewx python scripts begin with the following, it means they will end up using Python 3:

   #!/usr/bin/env python

HTH,

Regards,
\Leon