Yes, I've used the wrong command for the download :/

Still, even after updating the MQTT extension, the python 3 version crashes.

I've followed Matthew's instructions for installing the extension:

mqtt - weewx extension that sends data to an MQTT broker
Copyright 2014-2020 Matthew Wall
Distributed under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPLv3)

Installation instructions:

0) install the MQTT python bindings

sudo pip install paho-mqtt

When installing the MQTT python bindings, I get the following output:

*Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple,
https://www.piwheels.org/simple*

*Requirement already satisfied: paho-mqtt in
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (1.4.0)*

This looks a lot like Python 2.7