This trick worked by using an expression in the SQL SELECT statement.
Unfortunately, that ability got lost in V4.0.

Nevertheless, there's no good reason why it should not be allowed. Commit
e76e374
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/commit/e76e374595fe9a8cbaf3adc85ca7513f9a393f5c>
brings this ability back. Give it a try. Swap your version of xtypes.py
(probably located in either /usr/share/weewx/weewx/xtypes.py or
/home/weewx/bin/weewx/xtypes.py) with this one
<https://raw.githubusercontent.com/weewx/weewx/master/bin/weewx/xtypes.py>.
Let me know how it goes.

-tk