Thanks for your comment. No, it's not "harsh", logging IS all over the
place, since it's in the designated weewx.log, syslog and also in the
systemd journal under several different tags. I'm also aware of secondary
instances' tagging scheme in the log. It's just that it's another source of
misc. tagging, making it harder to organize and filter the log. Possibly
it's caused by various modules using the old syslog module with assumptions
about process names. I now constrained them using rsyslog filters, but it's
more like inconsistent behavior or regression than anything else. What's
not going to magically happen is all old module devs taking prior notice
and fix all the old code to comply. At least the basic level of
compatibility should have been kept, allowing the old debug flag work.
There are also old modules that work very fine while being basically
abandoned, but now have botched logging. And no, sadly not all of them are
accessible nor willing to touch their legacy code.