On Friday, May 29, 2020 at 6:33:22 AM UTC-7, mwall wrote:

> however, there *are* bld_deps that are python2:
> %define bld_deps python, python-configobj
> are these somehow getting propagated into the rpm itself?

If you run "rpm -qp --requires filename.rpm" you will see the dependencies
that were built in.

I didn't get anywhere successfully in trying to bang on the spec file to
tweak things.  I would agree that it shouldn't matter which version you
build a .noarch.rpm on these days, in most cases.

What's interesting is it actually also requires 'perl' too.

[root@320c68ef1804 /]# rpm -qp --requires weewx-4.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm
warning: weewx-4.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID
15306a67: NOKEY
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/env
/usr/bin/perl
/usr/bin/python

config(weewx) = 4.1.0-1.el8
perl(strict)
python3
python3-configobj
python3-pillow
python3-pyserial
python3-pyusb
python3-setuptools
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

Provides looks ok:

[root@320c68ef1804 /]# rpm -qp --provides weewx-4.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm
warning: weewx-4.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID
15306a67: NOKEY
config(weewx) = 4.1.0-1.el8
weewx = 4.1.0-1.el8

There has to be some kind of macro expansion thing going on.  It's been so
long since I had to dig into the internals that it's a little hazy how all
this stuff works under the hood.