On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 12:09:47 PM UTC-4, John Kline wrote:

> You just have to be careful how you write the file (the external process).
>  You want something along the lines of writing to a temp file, syncing to
> flush buffers and then moving that file to the filename that will be read
> by weewx.

I do not see why this is necessary, or (if you are trying to avoid weewx
reading a partially written file) why your approach is necessarily better
than my much simpler one. In the writing script, I am using Python's 'with
open(....' syntax, so the (very small) file is opened, written to, and then
immediately flushed and closed. I am not sure that it is even possible for
the file to be in a state that would cause a problem when the weewx service
tries to read it.