On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 8:32:46 PM UTC-7, Xant wrote:

> 2) WeatherFlow
> For price x performance, I'm sided to WeatherFlow, which not just ping at
> 2.5secs timeframe, but also has NO moving parts, ambient light, UV index,
> solar radiation. Sonic anemometer!
>
> The previous model (which I have) has 2 sensor units. Which it's good, as
> you can place the 2nd unit in shade for better temp measurement.
> On Amazon, for $299.95 (which is 5cents under budget!) :P

They are not sold new any more by the manufacturer so I would 'not' suggest
buying a new unit from Amazon.   That said, given the new Tempest is out,
you could probably pick up a lightly used Sky+Air+Hub for much less than
$300, perhaps not even $150 if you ask on the WeatherFlow forums and find
somebody looking to unload their old unit.

(sigh - I gifted mine to a family member just a week ago or I'd have sold
the original poster mine for a song :-)

To note, there is a newer model - Tempest $329. - not in Amazon yet and
> back-ordered, but directly from WeatherFlow website:
> https://shop.weatherflow.com/collections/frontpage/products/tempest
>
> I don't know the comparison about the 2 in detail, but the new unit is
> "all-in-one", while the older model it's split in two.

Re-read the web page.  It's a next-generation unit based on the things the
manufacturer learned since the SmartWeather station kickstart in mid-2018.
(disclaimer - I'm a beta tester of the Tempest).

Biggest change is they are positioning the Tempest and mobile app into
weather prediction very heavily, which might make things like DarkSky
integration unnecessary.

Also has IFTT integrations etc. so the original poster could trigger
closing the awning off of that, or even do a node-red thing if you run
weewx and hook in some event-driven mechanism like MQTT or whatever.

That said, you can 'not' run a WeatherFlow station off the grid.  It has to
be able to connect to WF's servers to get+keep the sensors tuned.  If you
can live within those constraints, the WF gear (old or new variants) would
be a good choice.  The ultrasonic wind sensor is very fast.   If you have
it in rapid_wind mode it reports wind every 3 seconds.