Yes, that is correct. The idea is that there is something really going
wrong if you have this happening multiple times. (You can bypass that by
setting the restarts in the config to a higher number but I would not
advise to do so)

If it is a one off, then resetting the number in the flag file to 0 would
work best and is a safer approach.