Not sure if anyone's still interested, but after some investigation, I
think the reed switch design detecting the bucket tips for this class of
rain gauge is flawed. I too noticed that on the bench the bucket tipping
mechanism and counting works fine, but after sitting idle for a few hours,
manually tipping it does nothing. Only by tapping it or using a very strong
external magnet will it come to life. So when mounted outdoors, it
eventually locks up until I get on the ladder to thump it.
Reed circuit applications are usually associated with entry detection, e.g.
burglar alarm systems. A door or window opens, and the switch is activated
as the magnet moves away. But in such applications the magnet moves a
substantial distance from the switch, not the case for this rain gauge.
The unit's stationary reed switch is mounted vertically on a small circuit
board very close to the bucket movement. There's a channel on the side of
the bucket that has a small magnet embedded opposite the reed switch. The
intent is that when the magnet swings by the reed switch, it briefly
completes the detection loop. On paper that ought to work fine, but my
speculation is that when the bucket's at rest, the magnet really isn't too
far from the switch; far enough that the switch releases, but it's still in
the near field of the magnet. Since the magnet is tilted relative to the
switch, the static field is dominated by one polarity. And my sense is that
over time, the reed switch's two elements retain enough of that magnetic
bias to actually repel and overcome the magnet's passage for subsequent
tips of the the bucket. This also could be aggravated by weakening of the
magnet over time, or by the unit being subjected to summer temperatures.
I think the bucket movement is great, and gives nicely calibrated rainfall
increments. So I set out to make an optical detector. There's plenty of
room inside the housing, and with an LED and phototransistor mounted side
by side, a simple foil reflector on the arm of the bucket seems to detect
each tip reliably. We'll see how well it does this winter!