On Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 5:25:50 AM UTC-8 Sunray wrote:

> I wonder what would be the simplest possible replacement "weather station
> sensor" which I could connect to the weewx-RPi testbed at home in order to
> send some test weather data to the RPi and onwards.

Which pi ?   The one at home or the one at the cabin ?  What are you
sending from-where to-where ?

If you just want to test weewx, that's what the simulator is for.

 I was hoping not to have to do any special configurations of the LAN
> router, either at home or at the cabin.

You're going to have to do 'something' to let your ssh or VPN or VNC
traffic in.    Reserve the static addresses for the weather gear when you
do that.

Yes, in terms of uptime, I've had some power breaks, and fried two power
> adaptors due to lightning during the last 4 years or so the station has
> been active. An UPS or even a surge protector would certainly have been
> useful. FYI, the Vantage weather station is connected to the router by
> cable, and I plan the same for the RPi - no WiFi except for the laptop
> during my summer visits.

You always want at least a surge protector with all your electronics
plugged into it, as  minimum.