Thanks, all! Looks like there is more than one way to accomplish this,
thanks for the suggestions. :-)

I think I like the looks of this, which does what I want:

$current.windSpeed.format(add_label=False) –
$span($time_delta=1800).windSpeed.max.format(add_label=False) MPH

which gives me a result like "3 - 14 MPH", where the first number is the
current speed and the 2nd is the peak in the last 30 minutes.