Ahhh - that's it....what's happening is that on a pi,  user.debug messages
go to /var/log/syslog but 'not' to /var/log/messages.

I verified the behavior above on pi versions dating back 5 years (really).
One model-B pi here has a os date of 2016-02-26 according to
/boot/issue.txt which shows the date of the base os.