Ok the file command is showing the backups to be large ASCII files.  The
backup command script is using the sqlite3 .dump command.  The ascii files
are the SQL commands to rebuild the file.  Here is the code.

echo 'stop the weewx daemon and wait 30 seconds'
sudo /usr/sbin/service weewx stop
retn_code=$?
if [ $retn_code -ne 0 ]; then
  exit 7
fi

sleep 30s

echo 'dump sqlite3 database'
echo '.dump' | sqlite3 $WEEWX_DB | gzip -c > $DUMP_FILE

echo 'restart the weewx daemon'
sudo /usr/sbin/service weewx start

I am not good with sqlite.  I have read a few different sites talking about
how to read a dump file into a database.  So far I am not having luck
recovering my database.  If anyone has a site they trust or have a quick
command for recovering sqlite dump files it would be much appreciated.  So
far when I run sqlite3 <DB>  and then .read <dump file>  It seems to run
but in about 30 seconds ends at the prompt with no errors on screen and the
database file is empty.

Thank you all for your input and time.