My suggestions:

   - Never alter a released driver.   If you do so, your changes will be
   overwritten every time you upgrade weewx.
   - Do all your custom things in extensions.  They go into the bin/user
   directory and are upgrade safe.
   - Package your custom extension or skin in a format installable by
   wee_extension.  Makes it far easier to manage.

Lastly, weewx supports multiple databases which is a very powerful feature:

   - Have your custom extension(s) write to additional database(s) and
   specify which db to get the data from in your skins.   How to configure
   weewx to do this is documented in the Customization Guide
   <https://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Using_multiple_bindings> but
   there are lots of examples for how to do this. If you want to see one
   full-up example that is installable from via wee_extension you might want
   to look at my mem extension (github link)
   <https://github.com/vinceskahan/vds-weewx-v3-mem-extension>