Are you seeing this in a browser? If so, this is generally caused by the
browser using the wrong encoding. For example, it's probably expecting
Latin-1 (or Windows-1252) instead of the actual utf-8.

As for why, did you add anything else to your NOAA page? Such, as an
encoding directive?

If no encoding directive, then which browser are you using? Chrome
autodetects the encoding, but generally gets it right. For others, you must
set the encoding manually.

-tk