I just tried this little trick with month_images too and changed it  to
%d.%m. And, yes, after restarting weewx, it worked! Nice!!! However,
year_images
was not changed. There is a little typo in Rick's post, needs to be %y
instead of y%. But, still no success. So, I had a look into the web site
files and realized, that the year images are only created at midnight. So I
will wait until tomorrow to see, what happened.