Weewx expects the rain amount added since the last 'loop' record but *my
guess* is that the weather station is providing the volume of rain since
some reset time (midnight?). Therefore the driver is remembering the last
volume the station provided and subtracts that from the latest volume to
pass on the difference to weewx. (This is how my driver - not the one you
are using - handles this.)

Further I'm guessing that the driver will try to match the weather stations
reset time.

As the problem starts just after midnight, it could well be that there is a
difference in the times that the weather station sets the rain volume for
the day back to zero and when the driver tries to do the same. If the
driver has a certain value from just before midnight; the weather station
resets to zero but the driver does not; the next rain volume seen by the
driver will be loer than the last one it has recorded and so will pass on a
negative 'increment'.

I would check that both the weather station and the system running weewx
have the same time and therefore record the 'midnight reset' together.

(This is all wild supposition on my part - please treat it as such!)

Susan