Eric,
For (2), MQTTSubscribe has a 'filter_out_message_when' option. So, you
would to do something like this in the MQTTSubscribe section
[[topics]]
  [[[tele/AS3935/SENSOR]]]
    [[[[AS3935_Event]]]]
  ignore = True
  # MQTT messages with and event value in the following will be ignored.
  filter_out_message_when = 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
  conversion_type = int
  .
  .
  .

A bit more detail on this option can be found here,
https://github.com/bellrichm/WeeWX-MQTTSubscribe/wiki/Configuring-additional-options#filter_out_message_when
There is some background information here,
https://github.com/bellrichm/WeeWX-MQTTSubscribe/discussions/112

For (3), read up on WeeWX accumulators here,
https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/Accumulators

If you get this working, this is exactly the type of MQTTSubscribe
configuration that I would like to capture as an example to help others in
the future.
- Rich