Nick Kavanagh <kavanagh.nic...@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to set up a UV sensor on an ESP8266, reporting to Weewx via
> mqttSubscribe. The number being transmitted from the ESP8266 is a string
> representation of an integer (no decimal value is allowed for in the
> calculation of index). The number represented by the UV Index level (in the
> Belchertown skin, but using the weewxdb value held in uv index), is a
> float. The actual index values are integers, 0-11.
>
> My actual question then, is where and how does weewx calculate the uv index
> value? Should my sensor be making the UV Index calculation and sending that
> value, or should it be sending the raw UV level to weewx, with weewx
> calculationg the index value?

You could look at StdCalculate, but weewx is quite comfortable getting a
UV index from a hardware weather station, and getting it via
MQTTSubscribe instead seems straightforward.

If you can have the ESP8266 emit json with both some radiometric UV
values and index in a dictionary, and then choose later, I'd do that.